1) I do not pretend to understand Haitian tax code, but rumor has it, you don’t have to pay property taxes if you don’t paint your house. As a result, most houses in Haiti are pretty boring to look at.
2) I teach English at the Episcopal High School in Léogâne one day a week and am the only female teacher that the school has had since 1987. Apparently, not that many women make it through the teaching certification program.
3) Haiti has a tradition of homeopathic medicine that uses natural plants, herbs, and ingredients. It could be interesting to explore!
4) At some point in trying to not fail high school gym class, I actually learned how to play volleyball well enough to not embarrass myself on the beach.
6) My name and pictures I took at the FSIL Christmas events made it into the Haitian newspaper! #famous!
7) TSA will throw away sunscreen in your carry-on but will allow Gingerbread House frosting to pass through! Former YASCer Cameron came to visit while I was in Cap and brought us this fun treat to celebrate our late Christmas.
|The first gingerbread house ever for Fritz, Ashley's interpreter/assistant/friend|
|The pilots (and the back of some guys head with a full head of hair.)|
10) The East Coast is experiencing a Polar Vortex. I am feeling really sorry for y’all. The beach was lovely here on January 2nd.